Sunday, June 12, 2011

Neophyte

ne-o-phyte (nēˈə-fītˌ)

noun
1. Someone recently converted to a belief or belief system.
With the conviction of a neophyte, he dances forth into the hereafter.
2. A beginner.
In the neophyte's mind, there are many possibilities; in the expert's, there are few.
3. A newly ordained priest in the Roman Catholic Church.
A neophyte and a nun are on their way back home from a trip when their car breaks down. They are unable to get it fixed, so they decide to spend the night in a hotel. The only hotel in the town has only one room available.
Neophyte
: Sister, I don't think the Lord would have a problem, under the circumstances, if we spent the night together in this one room. I'll sleep on the lounge and you have the bed.
Nun
: I think that would be okay. They prepare for bed and each one takes their agreed place in the room. Ten minutes later...
Nun
: Father, I'm terribly cold.
Neophyte
: Okay, I'll get you a blanket. (He does) Ten minutes later...
Nun
: Father, I'm still terribly cold.
Neophyte
: Okay Sister, I'll get you another blanket. (He does)
Ten minutes later...
Nun: Father, (she lamented) I'm still terribly cold. I don't think the Lord would mind if we act as man and wife just for this one night.
Neophyte: You're probably right...get up and get your own blanket.
4. A novice of a religious order or congregation.
Church attendance is so low these days, neophytes get to feel like superstars Sunday mornings. Good place to go, if you want a lot of attention.

Synonyms: abdecedarian, aesthete, aficionado, amateur, aspirant, cognoscente, connoisseur, dabbler, dallier, dilettante, greenhorn, hobbyist, learner, neophyte, nonprofessional, noob, putterer, rookie, smatterer, tenderfoot, trifler, tyro, uninitiate.

No comments:

Post a Comment