Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Recondite

re-con-dite (rkn-dt, r-kndt)

adjective
1. Hidden from the mental or intellectual view.
To say 'we' and mean 'I' is one of the most recondite insults. - Theodor Adorno
To say 'I' and mean 'we' is just presumptuous.

2. Dealing with abstruse and profound things.
Over beers, I had nothing to talk about because all of my pastimes have become recondite.
3. The opposite of layman's terms.
When I did speak, recondite language nearly put my friends to sleep.
4. Of a person who fits any of the aforementioned definitions.
I think we've become recondite.

Synonyms: abstruse, ambiguous, arcane, clear as mud, complicated, concealed, cryptic, dark, deep, dim, doubtful, enigmatic, enigmatical, esoteric, far-out, hazy, hidden, illegible, illogical, impenetrable, incomprehensible, inconceivable, incredible, indecisive, indefinite, indeterminate, indistinct, inexplicable, inscrutable, intricate, involved, mysterious, obscure, occult, opaque, unbelievable, unclear, unintelligible, vague.

No comments:

Post a Comment