Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Consanguinity

consanguinity (knsn-gwn-t, -sng-)

noun
1. Relationship by blood or by a common ancestor.
My daughter and cousin are both in Toronto right now with no other relatives. When I told my grandmother that they were going to a big family dinner tonight, she said they were like her, going out in the world and building their own families, without depending on notions of
consanguinity.
2. A close affinity or connection.
Part of my hesitance to spend time with my estranged relatives is that it will be awkward at a time when we might expect
consanguinity.

Synonyms: affiliation, affinity, agnate, blood-relationship, brotherhood, cognate, connection, family tie, filiation, kin, kindred, kindredship, kinship, lineage, race, sisterhood, strain.

No comments:

Post a Comment