Friday, July 8, 2011

Obsequious

obsequious (b-skw-s, b-)

adjective
1. Obedient or submissive to the will of another in an attentive and compliant, yielding or devoted manner.
Although I love her, the attitude of Jeannie, who gave her name to the TV show, kind of freaks me out. I want to be worshiped by someone whose worship comes as a surprise, from someone you wouldn't normally expect that kind of devotion. The adoration of those who are known for their obsequious romances does little for the ego at all.
2. Characterized by sucking up through obedience and/or flattery.
Obsequious attention always freaks me out because I know there is a hidden motive somewhere.

Synonyms: abject, beggarly, bootlicking, brownnosing, complacent, compliant, deferential, duteous, enslaved, fawning, flattering, ingratiating, kowtowing, menial, obeisant, prostrate, servile, slavish, sniveling, spineless, stipendiary, subject, submissive, subordinate, subserviant, syncophantic, toadying, unctuous.

* Too many love songs portray love as an obsequious emotion. I don't want to be worshiped; I want to be adored.

No comments:

Post a Comment